Current as of March 2017
Note that I've provided links to publications that are online, as well as "authors versions" of those publications published in restricted sources. Many of my publications are in open access sources, in which case I have only provided the link. Author's versions may be lacking elements of the final publication and are likely to contain minor proofing errors, however unlike the final version, publishing agreements allow me to share them - please contact me via email if you wish to obtain the final published version.
See also my Google Scholar Profile page, which may be more up-to-date.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Min-Venditti, A. A., Moore, G. W., & Fleischman, F. (2017). What policies improve forest cover? A systematic review of research from Mesoamerica. Global Environmental Change, 47(Supplement C), 21-27. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2017.08.010
- Veldman, J. W., Silveira, F. A. O., Fleischman, F. D., Ascarrunz, N. L., & Durigan, G. (2017). Grassy biomes: An inconvenient reality for large-scale forest restoration? A comment on the essay by Chazdon and Laestadius. American Journal of Botany. 104(5), 649-651 doi:10.3732/ajb.1600427 http://www.amjbot.org/content/early/2017/04/28/ajb.1600427.short
- Fleischman, F. (2017). Questioning Kaufman: How Cross-Level Political Coalitions Interact with Organizational Structure. Public Administration Review, 77(5), 743-751. doi:10.1111/puar.12753 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/puar.12753/full Link to Author's Version
- Cox, M., Villamayor-Tomas, S., Epstein, G., Evans, L., Ban, N. C., Fleischman, F., Nenadovic, M., & Garcia-Lopez, G. (2016). Synthesizing theories of natural resource management and governance. Global Environmental Change, 39, 45-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2016.04.011 Link to Author's Version
- Fleischman, F., & Briske, D. D. (2016). Professional ecological knowledge: an unrecognized knowledge domain within natural resource management. Ecology and Society, 21(1). http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol21/iss1/art32/
- Fleischman, F.D. Understanding India's forest bureaucracy: a review. Regional Environmental Change. In Press. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10113-015-0844-8?wt_mc=email.event.1.SEM.ArticleAuthorOnlineFirst# Link to Author's version
- Fleischman, F. D., Ban, N. C., Evans, L. S., Epstein, G., Garcia-Lopez, G., & Villamayor-Tomas, S. (2014). Governing large-scale social-ecological systems: Lessons from five cases. International Journal of the Commons, 8(2). http://www.thecommonsjournal.org/index.php/ijc/article/view/416
- Fleischman, F. D., Loken, B., Garcia-Lopez, G. A., & Villamayor-Tomas, S. (2014). Evaluating the utility of common-pool resource theory for understanding forest governance and outcomes in Indonesia between 1965 and 2012. International Journal of the Commons, 8(2). http://www.thecommonsjournal.org/index.php/ijc/article/view/409
- Villamayor-Tomas, S., Fleischman, F. D., Perez Ibarra, I., Thiel, A., & Laerhoven, F.V. (2014). From Sandoz to Salmon: Conceptualizing resource and institutional dynamics in the Rhine watershed through the SES framework. International Journal of the Commons, 8(2). http://www.thecommonsjournal.org/index.php/ijc/article/view/411
- Fleischman, F.D. 2014. "Why do Foresters Plant Trees? Testing Theories of Bureaucratic Decision-Making in Central India." World Development 62:62-74. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2014.05.008. Link to Authors' version
- Arnold, Gwen A., & Fleischman, F.D. 2013. “The Influence of Organizations and Institutions on Wetland Policy Stability: The Rapanos Case.” The Policy Studies Journal 41(2): 343-364. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/psj.12020. link to Author's version.
- Coleman, E. A., & Fleischman, F. D. 2012. Comparing Forest Decentralization and Local Institutional Change in Bolivia, Kenya, Mexico, and Uganda. World Development 40(4): 836-849. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305750X11002300. Link to author's version.
- Fleischman, F.D., Kinga Boenning, Gustavo A. Garcia-Lopez, Sarah Mincey, Mikaela Schmitt-Harsh, Katrin Daedlow, Maria Claudia Lopez, Xavier Basurto, Burney Fischer, and Elinor Ostrom 2010. "Disturbance, Response, and Persistence in Self-Organized Forested Communities: Over-Time Analysis of Five Communities in Southern Indiana.” Ecology and Society 15 (4):9. http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss4/art9/
(see also my old blog)
- Fleischman, F.D., 2012. Public Servant Behavior and Forest Policy Implementation in Central India. PhD Dissertation, Indiana University, School of Public & Environmental Affairs. Supervised by Elinor Ostrom.
- Fleischman, F.D., 2012. Book Review of "Rutherford, Stephanie. Governing the Wild: Ecotours of Power. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press 2011. ISBN 978-0-8166-7447-3, Price $25 (paperback). Xxvi+280 pages, index." Human Ecology 40(6): 967-968.
- Fleischman, F.D., 2011. Grass Roots and Big Trees: The challenges and potentials of polycentered collective action. Grassroots Economic Organizing (GEO) Newsletter 2(9).
- Ghate, R., & Fleischman, F.D., 2011. What Are the Lessons of Elinor Ostrom’s Work for South Asian Forests? Current Conservation 4(3):13-15.
- Fleischman, F.D. & Visa, A., 2008 Political Empowerment and Economic Growth as Determinants of Agro-Ecosystem Change in Kerala: A Preliminary Report. In Malhotra, Gunjan., ed. Environmental Growth : A Global Perspective. New Delhi: Macmillan Publishers India Ltd
- Dismantling the National Forest Management Act. Summer 2006.
- Wolves Run Free & Unfettered Salvage Logging. Spring 2006.
- Don't Judge a Tree by its Color. Winter 2006.
- Monitoring Timber, Not Wildlife. Fall 2005.
- Planning without Purpose. Summer 2005
- Some Like it Hot: The Black-backed Woodpecker and Burned Forests. Summer 2005
- Strangely Like Fire: The Pacific Northwest's Invasive Species Management Strategy. Spring 2005